Monday, April 13, 2009

Before I get to the playoffs, I must give credit....





NHL playoffs start on Wednesday and before I get into my predictions I have to give massive props to a couple of Maple Leafs. Yes I would rather be writing about who the Buds are facing in the playoffs right about now, but this comes as a bit of good news after another shit season.


19 year old stud, Luke Scheen and Ian White have been selected to represent Canada at the World Hockey Championships in Switzerland. Scheen I knew was being considered, White on the other hand came as a surprise. Good on Hockey Canada. White was top notch for a weak Leafs squad and his efforts have obviously not gone unnoticed.

Schenn joins fellow 19 year old rookies Steven Stamkos from the Lightning and Drew Doughty from the Kings who were also selected to the team.

All three of these teenagers have won world junior gold for Canada in the past, so its not as if these guys are new to Hockey Canada. Its good to see the youth getting to represent for Canada at the World Champs, which over the last few years has served as a tryout for those hoping to crack the senior team. Don't be surprised if one of these kids is in the red and white come next years Olympics.

Even though my team isn't in the playoffs again this year, there is a remedy for those like myself, who really don't care who wins the cup. Playoff pool!

I got destroyed in my regular season pool. My strategy was to take my goalies early. A good tender can get you as many points as a top ten scorer. Evgeni Nabokov proved that. He got me a solid 97 points. Carey Price on the other hand got me a whopping 49 points.


With playoff pools this rule works much better. Pick the goalie from the team that your think is going to take the cup. That's a guaranteed 32 points as it takes 16 wins to hoist Stanley. Plus if you give an extra point for a shut outs it can work out to be more like Gretzky's point totals from playoffs in the 80s. Just hope the back up doesn't steal the job from the starter a few games in.

Before you just draft players one must devise who you think is going to do what and who will face off to win the cup.

Breaking down the bracket. Not as simple as you think. Upsets happen. A team you loaded up players off may go down in the first round. That's the beauty of the NHL playoffs.


I have my draft today. No better time to break down the bracket. I will only give my first round predictions, but I will give my prediction for the cup winner after.

Right lets get started.

East

Boston vs Montreal

Bruins will be too much for the Habs too handle. Tougher team with a ton of talent not to mention this years top candidate for the Vezina, Tim Thomas between the pipes.

Bruins in five.

Washington vs New York

Awesome match up. Love to see Ovechkin in the Big Apple. The NHL needs people like Ovie to market the league. Fuck what Don Cherry thinks, all he's doing is giving the game some much needed personality.

As for the series itself, tough to see the Caps losing this though they very well could. I'm not sure what this Rangers team is really all about. I like the offensive fire power of the Caps. Not 100% on their goaltending but think it will be enough to get past the Rangers.

Caps in six.

New Jersey vs Carolina

Carolina have been on fire since they got ex- Leafs coach Paul Maurice back in Raleigh. The Canes are rolling going into the dance and have been lead by their top notch tender, Cam Ward. If it wasn't for Tim Thomas' stand out year, Ward would probably get the Vezina. Getting Eric Cole back has been huge for the Canes especially while playing alongside Eric Staal.

The Devils can't be looked over. Here is a team that didn't have their best player Martin Brodeur for half the season, and were still able to take the very tough Atlantic. This one is a coin flip for me. I want to say Jersey cause they got the experience, but really so do the Canes.

Hurricanes in seven.

Pittsburg vs Philadelphia

A lot of people are excited about this series and rightfully so. This is going to be physical and down right nasty. The Pens will have to show some restraint and not get sucked into stupid penalties. Basically they can't play the Flyers type of hockey.

Philly's goaltending is shaky. I've never been a Biron nor Niittymaki fan. Briere has to contribute. If they can get Briere moving they could be in good shape, cause you know Carter and Richards will surely be on top of their game. I like the Pens and think Crosby is just now hitting his full stride after a few injuries set him back.

Pens in seven.

West

San Jose vs Anaheim

Everyone here in Vancouver was saying how glad they were that the Canucks didn't have to face the Ducks in the first round. They're a tough bunch with some skill up front and decent (not fantastic) goaltending. They got the experience and some young talent. Just can't imagine these Ducks taking out the juggernaut Sharks.

San Jose has something to prove and they showed it this season. The Presidents trophy winners have one goal in mind and that's winning the cup. Anything less for this team will be a disappointment. After some dismal playoffs in years past, its time now for the Sharks to make a serious run. I can see the Ducks taking a couple of games here but that's all.

Sharks in six.

Detriot vs Columbus

Columbus seems to be the one team people are considering to be the "sleeper" this year. Strong goaltending from rookie of the year candidate Steve Mason has helped bring the CBJ into the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. I knew when Ken Hitchcock took over as head coach of this team that it wouldn't be long before he got them in. He's too good of a coach not too. One of the down falls that I'm seeing in this series may be the fact that Mason is so young. Lots of pressure on a young goalie and drawing the reigning cup champs in your first taste of playoff action won't be an easy task. The season series was a good one with each team taking 3 games of six. The Wings are the Wings and they love the fact that not many people aren't picking them to repeat. I don't see the Jackets doing much in this series and think its the Wings in a walk.

Detriot in five.

Vancouver vs St Louis

I live in Vancouver and its a buzz in this town at the moment. One of the local sports radio shows today had a poll question asking if the Canucks drew the easiest opponent in the first round. Made me scratch my head. What do the Blues need to do for people to take them seriously?

The Blues were the hottest team in the NHL for the second half of season. They wrapped up the season going 8-1-1!

This is an easy opponent?

Its obvious that the Canucks aren't going to take the Blues lightly. The season series was a split with the two teams matching up well. The difference. Goaltending. Luongo is money. The guy has the winning mentality and this is the best team that has ever been in front of him in his short time in Van City. Chris Mason from the Blues has been a good story this year and should be good for the Blues in this series. Just not good enough.

Nucks in six.

Chicago vs Calgary

Heres another series that could end in four or go seven. The Flames are riddled with injuries and will have to re lie on a beat up back end to get them through. Its also a wonder which Mikka Kiprusoff will show up. The lights out Kipper, or the beer league hack Kipper.

The Hawks will have a jacked up house at the United Center for game one. These fans have waited far too long for playoff hockey to return to the Windy City and know that this team is legit. Loaded up front and on the back end. Goaltending is OK, but they got two good ones to choose from. Not great, but good. I like the make up of this Hawks team and with the injury situation being the way it is for the Flames, its got to be the Hawks to take this.

Hawks in six.

There it is. Most of my predictions will probably be wrong but hey that's the best part of speculating. You can always assume you'll be wrong and when your right you can always gloat!
I did say I would pick a cup winner so here goes.

In my eyes the team that will raise lord Stanley's cup in 2009 will be the San Jose Sharks. I'm not going too far out in this prediction but hey this team has it all. Top tier forwards. Strong back end and goaltender. Great coach.

Now take one guess who I will take (if he's available) with my first pick in my playoff pool.....

No comments:

Post a Comment