Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday!











Been awhile since I last wrote a blog and as you can see by posts in the past my final four predictions were way off! My gut told me that UNC couldn't do it without Ty Lawson being 100% but his health and play proved me wrong. I'm not sure if he was 100% but he sure as hell didn't show it. NBA mock drafts have him out of the top 10 in this summers draft, but after watching him in this years tourney, it wouldn't surprise me if his stock rises.
If you had Michigan State or Villanova in your final four you either had a crystal ball or a hand in on fixing games. Those upsets busted my bracket after the Elite 8 (which BTW I had all right) sending me out of contention in my pool. The final four games sucked and the final game was a snooze. Still though... I can't wait till next years tourney!
NHL is winding down to the final games of the season and the races are heating up. Playoff fever is beginning to rise here in Vancouver as the Canucks are jockeying for position in the West. I like this team. I'm never one to jump on bandwagons nor will I ever, but this team is legit. They got a top line that produces, complete with secondary scoring. Goaltending is on lock down, with Luongo looking the best he has all season. Their defense is suspect. They're a good bunch but have shown weakness this season. Not saying this team will win the cup as that would take some magic. Wouldn't be out of the question to see them make it to the Western Conference finals.
Out in the East well its another playoff without my Leafs. Fourth straight year not in the dance. Not gonna dwell on it as I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. Burkey and Wilson are a bit of circus but I got faith that their doing the right things to get better. We won't be in the hunt for John Tavares or Victor Hedman as we just weren't bad enough, but Luke Scheen's brother Brayden is in the draft and so is Evander Kane from the Vancouver Giants who both would be fantastic in the T dot. I've watched Kane since he was 15 and love his game. He'll surely go in the top 5 and will be tough for the Leafs to nab.
I could care less who comes out of the east but if I had to say who had the momentum its got to be the Bruins. I know Montreal has had their number in playoffs past but its the Bruins to lose. I like Ovie and the Caps. Can see the Pens making a run. Think the Devils will turn it around once the dance starts and could see Carolina being the upset team of the east.
That being said its the playoffs and the NHL is one of the best leagues for parody so its any ones to win. Just not my Leafs!

One thing that I can't wait to see end in the NHL once the playoffs start are the fights after clean hits. Its such a bitch move to grab a guy after he's leveled someone and draw them into a fight. Shane O'Brien from the Canucks did this last night after an LA King leveled one of his Canuck teammates. How its not an instigator penalty is beyond me. O'Brien who is already on the bubble of the Canucks back end will have an exclusive seat in the press box if he pulls that shit in the playoffs where power plays will kill ya. NHL refs need to step up and call the extra penalty when this sort of bullshit happens. Its just flat out stupid. You get hit clean you take it and look for a chance to get them back.

NBA playoffs are inching closer. Like my Leafs, my Raptors aren't in. This one is tougher to swallow as the Leafs had zero expectations this season, where as the Raps were supposed to be a playoff given in the weak eastern conference. I've touched on this in the past and to tell you the truth I'm done with it. They just aren't a good team. All we got to look forward to now is the draft lottery. Fingers crossed for a top 5 pick.
I'm sure anyone can predict that the Lakers will win the west. That's money in the bank. Are they the favorite to win it all? Sadly yes. Kobe has proved that he is a complete player who makes his teammates better just as Jordan did. Nobody in the west in a seven game series can take them. Last nights Lakers/ Nuggets game proved that. The Nuggets are the second best team in the west and were at pace with the Lakers at halftime. The lake show proved that they're just too much to handle and easily took the Nuggets out. I don't see the Lakers cake walking through the playoffs but don't be surprised if they only lose two maybe three games on their route to the finals.
The only other contenders in my eyes are the Celtics and the Cavaliers. The Celts are beat up bunch and are not nearly as deep as they were last year. The Cavs are a one man show. Lebron is one hell of a one man show, but just not deep nor balanced enough to take down the Lakers.
I've never been a Laker or Kobe fan. Not sure why the Lakers? The Kobe hatred is from a few years ago when he was a selfish score first player who was more of an cancer then a leader. Kudos to Kobe for maturing and realizing that its just not about him. He'll never be Jordan but who cares. He can be Kobe. Like Magic before Jordan the NBA has its best players in each era. Kobe is the best player since Jordan. He will solidify this by winning a championship without Shaq and as the true leader of the Lakers. Lebron's time is next.
























No comments:

Post a Comment