Monday, March 16, 2009

The kids are the real show!



"Its the most wonderful time of the year"

No its not Christmas, and no the NHL and NBA playoffs aren't for another month or so. March Madness begins this Thursdays, and I'm just a little excited. Its actually sickening how excited. Really the madness began over this past week, with all the conference tournament games in the morning and evening making me literally become one with my couch. Throw in the odd NBA game and I'm officially an all out geek when it comes to watching basketball.
Did I mention that the BC Boys AAA Provincial High School Basketball Championships were going down across the city at the Agrodome?
Ya I went. I know, I'm obsessed.
Got to witness my boys the Kitsilano Blue Demons win their only game of the tourney. Not a great show for the Demons, but beating the eventual champs at the Lower Mainland Tournament to qualify for the provincials was one of the best games I saw this season at any level. The Blue Demons will win the Lower Mainland next season, and will be one of the contenders to win the province. Trust me.
I wanted to see the Titans from South Kamloops more then any team in the tournament. One cause they were the top ranked team in the province all year, and two cause I heard they had a 6'10 kid named Kelly Olynyk who's headed next year to Gonzaga in the NCAA. Not sure what his actual numbers were this season, but I'm sure it was something round 30+ points/ game and like 10+ rebounds/ game. Something disgusting like that.
Anyways since he's so huge, I assumed he was a post player who just destroys under the basket. I couldn't have been more wrong.
The kid was the point guard with a ridiculus handle and a money jimmy. I skipped the semis against St Georges thinking Kelly and crew would roll over the Saints. I was wrong and pissed I didn't go. The game went to OT, with the Saints pulling out the upset lead by grade 11 star Emerson Murray's 26 points. Olynyk did his best, dropping 37 points, 14 rebounds and 9 assists in the lose. Thats the best thing about High School and University ball. Nobody's safe. Any game is anyones to win, or lose.
Saturday evening was the finals between Lower Mainland champion the Vancouver College Fighting Irish and St G's. This is a huge city rivalry. I made sure to check out South Kamloops play for 3rd and 4th against White Rock Christian Academy. Wasn't even a game, with the Titans taking the Warriors 94-75. Olynyk scored 46 (!) to go along with 15 rebounds and 5 assists. The kid is without a doubt one of the best prep schoolers in Canada. I'm curious if he could play point in the NCAA. I'm thinking he'll be a wing down south. Regardless expect to see Kelly on the Canadian National team really soon.
The finals were all that everyone wanted (well maybe not VC fans). I was sitting in a group of ex- Saints, probably in their mid twenties. They were pumped for the game, and though I could care less who won, deep down I really don't like St Georges.
The game went back and forth, with both teams going on runs of offense, backed by some good defense. The stars of the respective teams Emerson Murray for the Saints and Thomas Scrub for the Irish were relatively quiet throughout the game. Thomas' little brother Philip was on fire for the Irish making tough shots all game leading his team with 27 points. Thomas did haul in 17 rebounds, but his shooting was off going 3-11 including 0-4 from three. Watch out for Philip Scrub next season. The kid is the real deal.
The player that kept the Saints in the game wasn't Murray or their great point guard Dillon Hamilton. The difference was their lanky post Joshua Robertson. The 6'8 forward had an incredible 21 rebounds to go along with 24 points. I've seen Robertson play a few times this year, and was always impressed with his hustle and play.
VC held a 6 point lead at the half, but St G's stayed in it right down to the wire, backed all the way by Robertson. Philip Scrub hit a huge shot to give the Irish a 1 point lead less then 20 seconds on the clock. Thats when the quiet killer Emerson Murray, who was clearly not 100% in this game, hit a baseline jumper with 2.6 seconds left to give the Saints another upset victory. Murray has one more year of High School ball left, and is a lock to go south to play Division 1 in the NCAA. The kid has the game to back up his swagger. Like I said, I'm a Saints hater, but you can't help but love Emerson's game. Respect!
The NBA is the show, but when it comes down to it the best basketball is played by the youth. You won't get better value for your buck. I live in a city with a great basketball community, that couldn't support an NBA franchise. Shame really, but thats big business. Unfortunately the Grizzlies needed the loot and weren't getting it in Lotus Land. Fortunately youth basketball is striving and the ball fans in Vancouver have a relative and economic alternative to the NBA. I actually think our Basketball BC under 17 team could have given the Abdur- Rahim lead Grizzlies of the past a real run. I'm sure Big Country Reeves couldn't have kept up.

No comments:

Post a Comment